Deer Lodge is a small city in Western Montana nestled between meadows and mountains. This town is known for its rich history and is home to one of the largest employers in the state, the Montana State Prison.
Visit museums and landmarks or go fishing and hiking in the Montana forests.
If you’re planning a trip to Northwest Montana, check out the airports near Deer Lodge and start your vacation!
Planning and Resources for Your Visit to Deer Lodge
- Best time to visit: mid-July to Mid-September is the best time to visit Deer Lodge, Montana. You can expect warmer weather during the day with cooler conditions at night. Deer Lodge is also a popular ski destination during the winter (December through March). Check out Discovery Ski, 2200 acres of mountain ranges for beginners to experts.
- When to book hotels: as a rule of thumb, it’s best to start monitoring prices two months before your flight to see when prices dip. You will most likely find the best deals around the two-week mark before your trip. If you will be in town for a special event, like the Tri-County Fair in August, it’s best to book early. Check available accommodations here.
- Weather: The weather in Deer Lodge fluctuates depending on the season. Winters are frigid with snowy conditions and considerable cloud cover. Warmer weather will begin in June and last through the end of summer, and falls are chilly with occasional snow. You can still experience some snow during spring and an increase in rain.
- Popular attractions: visit the Old Montana Prison & Auto Museum, grab a beer at Elk Ridge Brewing Company, learn about history at the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, or fish in the Little Blackfoot River.
- Pick a guide: Montana is an outdoor lover’s dream, but some may not be familiar with safety precautions. Take advantage of the many trained professionals who can make your trip even better. Take guided tours through national parks or hire a boat service for fishing. Stay safe and have fun!
The 5 Airports Near Deer Lodge
While there are no Deer Lodge airports, several within driving distance offer international and direct flights.
- Bert Mooney Airport – Butte, MT
- Helena Regional Airport – Helena, MT
- Missoula Montana Airport – Missoula, MT
- Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport – Belgrade, MT
- Great Falls International Airport – Great Falls, MT
1. Bert Mooney Airport
Bert Mooney Airport is a 40-minute drive (41 miles) and is the closest airport to Deer Lodge, Montana. This small regional airport offers direct flights every day from the hub in Salk Lake City and provides other general aviation services.
Enjoy amenities like onsite car rentals, free Wi-Fi, spacious seating areas, and conveniently located restrooms. You can sit at the restaurant and order a sandwich with a refreshing drink before or after your flight.
Park for free, check your baggage, and get through TSA in record time. The baggage claim is right off the jetway, where you can quickly grab your belongings and be on your way.
Fly with Delta to and from Salt Lake City, Utah. You can find early morning, mid-afternoon, and evening flights every day. Bert Mooney Airport is perfect for those near Salt Lake City or on connecting flights.
The quickest, most affordable transportation option from the airport is to take an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare service. You could also rent a car from the airport if you plan on doing a lot of driving on your trip.
The fastest route is to take I-90 straight to Deer Lodge; stop by Anaconda for a delicious meal, and drive through natural wildlife areas.
2. Helena Regional Airport
The Helena Regional Airport is a 1-hour drive (57 miles) to Deer Lodge. This small airport hosts three airlines with a few direct flights.
The view during take-off and landing provides awe-inspiring mountain views, be sure to open the window shade and take pictures.
The small terminal is quaint and comfortable with convenient amenities. You will find a few gift shops, a cafe, Wi-Fi, luggage carts, car rental agencies, and heated sidewalks during the winter months for safety.
Airlines offering direct flights to Helena Regional Airport:
- Alaska Airlines: Seatle/Tacoma
- Delta Airlines: Salt Lake City
- United Airlines: Denver
Helena Regional Airport is a suitable option for those who plan to spend time in the capital city before heading to Deer Lodge or for those who need more direct flight options.
It’s an excellent drive from Helena with beautiful scenery through forests with views of majestic mountain peaks. Rent a vehicle at the airport for a short scenic drive or take a bus into Butte and rideshare to Deer Lodge.
3. Missoula Montana Airport
Missoula Montana Airport is a 1-hour and 15-minute drive (86 miles) to Deer Lodge. This small airport offers non-stop flights to and from 14 different markets around the country.
The airport offers plenty of amenities, including a restaurant with a full-service bar, a coffee/tea shop, a gift shop, and massage chairs. You will also find free Wi-Fi, charging stations, smart carts, and a mail drop for your convenience.
You can book flights with major airlines offering direct flights from cities across the US.
- Alaska Airlines: Seattle, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco
- Allegiant Air: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Oakland
- American Airlines: Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, Los Angeles
- Delta: Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Atlanta
- Frontier: Denver
- United: Denver, Chicago, San Francisco
The Missoula Montana Airport is the best option for those who plan on making stops from Missoula to Deer Lodge. You should book a rental car and take your time driving through the windy mountain roads.
4. Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport is a 1-hour and 40-minute drive (114 miles) to Deer Lodge. This airport hosts ten airlines with non-stop flights to 30 US markets and connections worldwide.
You can’t beat the atmosphere at Bozeman Airport with its sprawling glass windows with views of snow-capped mountains and cozy fireplaces placed through the terminal.
Dine at several restaurants, including a grill, a cafe, and a taco shop. A grab-and-go kiosk serves gourmet hot coffee, sandwiches, bagels, and other snacks. Enjoy amenities like nursing rooms, service animal relief areas, local gallery work, and museum displays.
Airlines offering non-stop flights to Bozeman Yellowstone Airport:
- Alaska: Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco
- Allegiant: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Nashville, Austin
- American: Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, Austin
- Delta: Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Detroit, New York
- JetBlue: New York, Boston
- Southwest: Denver, Las Vegas, Dallas
- Sun Country: Minneapolis
- United: San Francisco, Denver, Chicago, LA, New York, Houston, D.C.
With even more flight options, Bozeman is suitable for those who don’t mind taking an hour or more drive from the airport.
Spend some time exploring Bozeman before you head out to Deer Lodge. Rent a car or take a bus from Bozeman to Butte, then rideshare into Deer Lodge.
5. Great Falls International Airport
Great Falls International Airport is a 2-hour and 14-minute drive (140 miles) to Deer Lodge. Great Falls airport is small and offers direct flights to six major cities on four different airlines.
The interior is clean and well-designed with short lines; you could be at your gate in less than 15 minutes once you check your baggage.
You will find rental car agencies, a cafe, vending machines, a bar, and a gift shop. Be sure to bring snacks with you if you have a late flight as the shops close up early.
Direct flights from Great Falls International Airport include:
- Las Vegas
- Salt Lake City
Book your flight through Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, Delta, and United Airlines.
Flying into Great Falls is an excellent option for those looking to do some sightseeing before settling in at your Deer Lodge hotel. Stop by Lewis and Clark National Forests, then hang out in Helena for shopping and dining.
The route has perfect photo opportunities! Book a rental car at the airport or find a nearby RV agency and take a short road trip.
Your Onward Journey to Deer Lodge
- Rent a car: Most airports have rental car agencies inside the terminal and offer great rates. They make it easy and convenient to book, pay, and pick up your car right from the airport. Pick a vehicle that meets your needs (sedan, SUV, truck, etc.) and hit the road of your own free will.
- Rideshare: If you are flying into an airport close to Deer Lodge, you may wish to catch a quick ride to your destination. Use ride apps like Uber and Lyft to get quickly to your hotel. You could also use services like Turo, a peer-to-peer car rental that lets you book local owners’ cars.
- Take a Greyhound: If your airport is further away, consider taking a greyhound bus to drop you off close to Deer Lodge. The closest bus stop to your destination is in either Helena or Butte; you would have to find a ride the rest of the way.
- Find an RV rental: Do you have a long drive ahead of you? Are you looking for a fun family adventure? Try renting an RV! Do a quick search to see the closest RV rental places near your airport and book a recreational vehicle for an exciting road trip through Montana.