So you’ve planned a romantic getaway for you and that special somewhere in one of the most beautiful states in the US.
Now, it’s time to form an itinerary – and that’s where we come in!
In this article, we have collated some of the most romantic activities available in Montana that allow you to connect with both nature and each other.
Montana has a great deal to offer for couples, from fine dining and kayaking on the beautiful lakes to watching the sunrise in a hot air balloon.
Read on to learn more about:
- What Montana has to offer
- Some of the important things you’ll need to think about before planning your travels.
Let’s get into it!
Best romantic getaways in Montana for Couples
Montana is an understandably popular destination for couples’ getaways due to the beautiful landscapes the state flaunts.
When picking your trip to Montana with a loved one, it’s important to have some ideas up your sleeve!
Some activities require bookings in advance, while others are best to have saved up for a rainy day.
Here are some of our must-do activities for couples:
Couples’ Spa Retreat
- Best for: Rewinding at the start of a holiday, rainy days
- Popular spa resorts: The Lodge at White Fish Lake, The Ranch at Rock Creek, Sage Lodge
- Price: From $59- $695 depending on services provided
- Services available: Couples massage, facials, body scrub, sauna
A couple’s spa retreat is a great way to unwind together, and let all the stresses of everyday life go – especially at the start of your holiday!
It is also a great alternative option to consider if you’ve been hit with some bad weather.
Couples can choose from a variety of spa treatments, ranging from massages to facials.
A spa is a great way to unwind, with an environment that is carefully curated to create a serene and romantic atmosphere.
This allows partners to share the relaxation and enjoy each other’s company! Many spas in Montana also offer packages that combine different treatments for a comprehensive experience.
Glacier National Park
- Best for: Couples looking to spend time in nature and enjoy sightseeing
- Activities offered: Scenic drives, boat tours, hiking, animal watching, star gazing
- Highlight: Scenic drive along the famous Going-to-the-Sun Road
- Transport: Train on the Amtrak, car rental, shuttle service, cycling
Montana’s Glacier National Park is a breathtaking backdrop for couples looking to enjoy some outdoor activities and romantic experiences together. From road trips to wildlife watching, Glacier National Park is rich with activities!
If you love road trips, there is a stunning scenic drive along the Going-to-the-Sun Road where you get views of glaciers, mountains, and valleys.
Once there, many hikes are available in the area to fully immerse yourselves in nature.
Or, if you prefer the water, consider taking a boat tour on one of the park’s pristine lakes such as Lake McDonald!
Hot Air Balloon Ride
- Best for: Couples looking for an unforgettable sightseeing experience, such as those celebrating an anniversary or birthday
- Price range: $250 to $400 per person. Some offer champagne toasts and breakfast
- Best time of day: Sunrise
- Highlights: Catching the sunrise whilst in the sky
- Best time of year: Summer and early fall
- Common locations: Flathead Valley, Bozeman, and Bitterroot Valley.
If you’re looking for an unforgettable special activity for you and your partner, consider a hot air balloon ride across Montana!
Taking a hot air balloon ride is a truly magical experience and is one of the best ways to enjoy the breathtaking views Montana’s diverse landscapes have to offer.
Remember to dress in layers and wear comfortable clothing and sturdy shoes – it can get cold!
- Best for: Couples that enjoy being on the water
- Highlights: Kayaking tours and star gazing
- Activities offered: Sailing, kayaking, hiking, picnics, local wine tours, fishing
- Best time of year to visit: Summertime for outdoor activities, or winter for a more peaceful, quiet experience
Flathead Lake is a popular destination for couples visiting Montana and offers a picturesque setting for many activities including boating, kayaking, or picnics.
If you both love to be on the water, consider renting a boat or joining a sailboat to explore the waters of Flathead Lake!
Alternatively, if you’re looking to have a quieter day, the Lakeside is a great place to set up a picnic and enjoy a romantic afternoon in the sun surrounded by lake and mountain views.
Many local wineries near the lake offer wine tastings, and what better way to finish your day than to camp at one of the lakeside campgrounds under the stars and surrounded by the tranquility of the lake?
Fine Dining at The Keep Restaurant
- Specialities: Pan-roasted duck breast, grilled salmon
- Highlight: Romantic atmosphere
- Price range: Mains from $22-$50
- Hours of operation: Sunday-Wednesday 5 pm-9 pm and Thursday-Saturday 5 pm-9 pm
- Location: Missoula
- Reservations: Recommended, but not always required.
The Keep is a popular restaurant located in Missoula that’s renowned for their duck and salmon dishes!
If you’re looking for a romantic evening filled with good wine, food, and service, then the Keep is an excellent option. You can view the menu here.
Hiking in the Beartooth Mountains
- Best for: Couples of all fitness levels that enjoy hiking
- Location: Spans over Montana and Wyoming
- Most popular trails: Lake Fork Trail, Mystic Lake Trail, and Beartooth Lake Trail:
- Highlights: Spectacular views of the mountains and lakes
- Best time of year to visit: Summer and fall, to avoid snowfall
- Accommodation: Hotels In Red Lodge.
Hiking in the Beartooth Mountains can be a wonderful and romantic experience and is a common destination for many couples.
Located both in Montana and Wyoming, hiking offers the best views of the stunning alpine scenery and the pristine lakes.
There are numerous trails available for all levels of fitness and hiking experience!
- Best for: Couples with riding experience
- Cost: approx $165 per person per hour
- Popular ranches: Parade Rest Guest Ranch and 320 Guest Ranch
Horseback riding is an exciting, romantic experience for couples – especially given Montana’s scenic landscapes and wide-open spaces!
There are many ranches in the state, including instructors and guides for beginners.
Some of the most popular ranches include the Parade Rest Guest Ranch, which is located near the west entrance of Yellowstone National Park.
For more experienced riders, the 320 Guest Ranch (which is found along the Gallatin River) takes you through picturesque Montana scenery including forests, meadows, and along the river.
Chico Hot Springs Resort
- Best for: Couples looking for a relaxing and rejuvenating getaway
- Location: In the Paradise Valley of Montana near the Yellowstone River
- Price: $85-160 per lodge room (2-4 people)
- Highlight: Soaking in the natural hot pools
- Accommodation options: Lodge rooms, cabins, and vacation homes.
Chico Hot Springs Resort is a popular destination nestled in the Paradise Valley of Montan near Yellowstone National Park.
The resort is a great way to go if you and your couple are looking for a way to unwind around nature!
The Chico Hot Springs are renowned natural hot springs, and the resort allows you access to two mineral pools: one for swimming and another for soaking.
There are many rustic, romantic accommodation and food options in the resort, including the historic cabins, cozy rooms in the main lodge, and vacation homes.
Bannack State Park
- Best for: Couples wanting to explore non-conventional locations
- Highlights: Ghost town Bannack
- Location: In the Beaverhead County near the town of Dillon.
If you’re looking for an unforgettable travel destination that may not have been on your radar, consider Bannack State Park1
Bannack State Park is a historical state park in southwestern Montana and is best known for its well-preserved ghost town of Bannack.
Bannach was founded in 1862 following the discovery of gold in Grasshopper Creek, and the town is considered one of the best-preserved ghost towns in the United States with many original structures such as homes, stores, and schools still standing.
It’s the perfect place for an adventure-loving couple! In addition, the park also offers ample opportunities for outdoor activities such as picnicking, hiking, and photography.
- Best for: Couples camping, or on a budget
- Highlights: Beautiful celestial views
- Popular locations: Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake
There’s nothing more romantic (and better bang for the buck) than stargazing!
Whether you camp under the stars or attend a program for scouring the night sky, Montana offers many opportunities for romantic stargazing.
Two of the most popular locations for stargazing in Montana include Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake.
The Glacier National Park is part of the designated Dark Sky Parks, meaning you’ll get an unparalleled view of the skies.
Glacier National Park also offers ranger-led stargazing programs during the summer months.
Flathead Lake is another great place for this activity, and the location allows you to rent a lakeside cabin to enjoy the night sky (or to set up a tent in one of the nearby campsites).