With its world-class art galleries and fine theatres, Bigfork, Montana may be a small town, but it is rich in culture and excellent food choices. Located within Montana’s Rocky Mountains, this up-scale resort town is a hidden gem for those looking for an artsy escape.
From tiny homey diners to elegant casual restaurants, the best restaurants in Bigfork usually offer comfort food with a twist. Each food haunt offers its own unique twist, which is why people keep coming back for more.
Recommended Food & Wine Tours In and Near Bigfork
Travel Tips for Eating in Bigfork
Known as one of the best art towns in the West, the small town of Bigfork is also home to a lot of delicious restaurants. For a small town, it takes pride in having some of the most flavorful dining spots in Flathead Valley.
Here are a few facts you should be aware of before eating out:
- Summers in Bigfork are usually short, warm, and partly cloudy, while winters are extremely freezing and mostly cloudy. If you’re looking to explore Bigfork, the best time to do so is between June and August.
- There’s nothing like snacking on huckleberries or desserts with huckleberries as you explore through town.
- Like the rest of Montana, Bigfork offers a lot of elk and bison dishes. Bigfork restaurants usually have them on their menus, so make sure you’re on the lookout for these dishes.
- If you find yourself in Bigfork during spring, summer, or fall, you should definitely visit the farmer’s market for fresh produce. In case you find yourself there in winter, you can try whisky sampling or visiting the Brewfest for unique alcoholic beverages.
- Giving a 20-25% tip to one’s server is the norm not only in the small town of Bigfork but in the entire state of Montana. It’s the polite thing to do! So prepare to shell out a little extra after you’ve finished your meal.
- This resort town may be intimidating with its fine dining restaurants, but it also has more affordable food options such as food trucks and casual restaurants. That’s why it’s best to research where to eat as you plan your trip.
So where do you dine when you find yourself at Bigfork? Head to these six Bigfork restaurants, and you won’t regret it.
The Best Restaurants in Bigfork
1. Echo Lake Cafe • 1195 Swan Hwy # 83, Bigfork, MT 59911 • $$ – $$$
If you’re looking for a charming restaurant that offers great food for your Instagram posts, you can never go wrong with Echo Lake Cafe. This casual restaurant takes pride in offering almost everything fresh and homemade.
Since it opened its doors in 1960, it has remained to be known as one of the best restaurants in Flathead Valley. It even offers gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan options for those on a strict diet.
The family-owned and operated restaurant is open seven days a week, from 6:30 AM to 2:30 AM. You might want to look elsewhere if you’re looking to eat out in the late afternoon.
Recommended: Salmon Eggs Benedict
2. Pocketstone Cafe • 444 Electric Avenue, Bigfork, MT 59911 • $$ – $$$
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and that’s why you should start your day strong with a tiny yet comfortable restaurant that offers excellent home cooking. Since it opened its doors eight years ago, Pocketstone Cafe has won over the locals’ and tourists’ hearts and established itself as one of the top restaurants in Bigfork, Montana.
Managed by an old lovely American couple, this restaurant mainly offers breakfast food. Amazingly, before they opened the restaurant, they didn’t have any experience in the food business. If you’re on a strict diet, don’t fret as they offer vegan, vegetarian-friendly, and gluten-free options as well.
Just take note that Pocketstone Cafe is open only from Tuesday to Saturday, 7:00 AM to 2:30 PM. On the days and hours, the restaurant is closed, you have to find another place in town.
Recommended: Buttermilk Pancakes
3. Flathead Lake Brewing Co • 116 Holt Dr. Suite A, Bigfork, MT 59911• $$ – $$$
Looking to dine out with a view? Flathead Lake Brewing Co offers great food and a breathtaking view of Flathead Lake. It’s a fantastic place to relax after a long day outdoors with its 16 tap selections, excellent wine choices derived from all over the country, and a beer cocktail menu that uses the freshest ingredients only.
This local brewery also offers a lot of delicious options to accompany your poison of choice. When the weather is nice, make sure to ask if the deck area is available for dine-in.
Flathead Lake Brewing Co is open from Wednesday to Saturday, from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM only. That’s why you should look for another place for breakfast. If you can wait for late brunch, this might just be the place for you.
Recommended: Jalapeño burger
4. Burgertown Dairy Freeze • 8595 Mt Highway 35, Bigfork, MT 59911• $
Foodies on a conservative budget will get a bank for the buck in this little local burger joint. It might not look much from the outside, but it has been a popular meeting place for locals for the past 40 years.
If you’re looking for inexpensive comfort food with a Montana twist, try the burgers of this quaint restaurant. It’s a must to enjoy their yummy burgers with Huckleberry milkshakes and of course, some onion rings.
Just take note that this restaurant is for quick bites only, so you might want to look for another place to hang out after. It’s opened daily, from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
Recommended: Viking Monster
5. Great Northern Gourmet • 425 Grand Dr, Bigfork, MT 59911• $$ – $$$
If you enjoy the finer things in life, Great Northern Gourmet is the food joint for you. This restaurant uses organic, farm-fresh ingredients only, and it has a splendid view of the bay.
Great Northern Gourmet takes pride in making everything organic and non-GMO. If you’re into sustainable dining, this is the restaurant for you.
The restaurant is open from Tuesday to Saturday, 12:00 to 3:30 PM for lunch, and 5:30 to 9:00 PM for dinner. Take note of their restaurant hours if you want to get a taste of this excellent place.
Recommended: Short Rib Hunter’s Ragout
6. Rosa’s Pizza • 8585 Mt Highway 35, Bigfork, MT 59911 • $
Looking for scrumptious pizza? There is one in Bigfork that meets the expectations of pizza lovers. Rosa’s Pizza knows their pizza, loves their pizza, and loves their customers. The result? Everyone is happy. Locals and tourists alike come back again and again to this place to satisfy their pizza cravings.
They only close on Sundays, and you can enjoy their pizza, salads, cheese bread, and salads beginning at 11:00 a.m. They’ve been a beloved pizza place since 1986, making them the best pizza house in the entire Bigfork. The quality of their pizza is consistent— and addicting.
Recommended: Rosa’s Combo, cheese bread, basically everything
It’s All About The Timing
The common denominator among restaurants in Bigfork is that they’re open on selected hours only. That’s why you should check their operational hours before you head out to visit. You may have to wait for a little to get a table at these places, but every restaurant on this list is worth the wait.