Anyone who has never visited the Yellowstone region before may wonder where to begin when looking for reference points on accommodation options. It might be true that many visitors to the region will most likely head straight for Yellowstone National Park and include the accommodation within the park as a bucket-list check.
The north side of Yellowstone is heavy on wildlife along the banks of scenic rivers, and there are also a good few reference points as to the local culture here too. Yellowstone is a world of art museums and historic towns along with hot springs and high peaks under a big sky.
On both the East and the West sides you’ll be right next to one of the park’s main entrances in some of the most-visited areas of the state. Staying outside of the park usually means Gardiner on the East side or West Yellowstone.
The latter is the most popular choice that makes sense on a number of levels considering the close proximity to some of the area’s main attractions both inside and outside the park.
There are more lodging options for starters, and the rates are likely to be quite a bit lower than inside the park. Straightforward Bed and Breakfast, Inn-type options abound in the West Yellowstone regions, and many of these lodgings are affordable and clean, within walking distance of pretty much anything you might want to see near the famed national park.
So let’s take a closer look at some of the best bed and breakfasts in Yellowstone.
Staying in Yellowstone – Travel Tips and Advice
- Which areas in Yellowstone are best: Downtown West Yellowstone is the kind of place you can casually wander around and take in the Western vibe amidst an assortment of stores, galleries, specialty shops, restaurants, cafes, saloons, and microbreweries. There’s really a little something for everyone and plenty of old-fashioned friendliness.
- Getting Around: It’s easy enough to get around the center of West Yellowstone on foot, and there’s plenty to see and do usually just a few hundred yards from your accommodation. That said there’s always a bit of exploring off the beaten path to hand that requires either your own vehicle or a local guide. If you fly to Yellowstone, your best bet for getting to the park is to book your own rental car even if you plan on using shuttles.
- Attractions: The park’s West Entrance is less than a mile away, and trails of all varieties expand out from the city’s edge into the wide-open landscape. West Yellowstone has welcomed tourists for decades, a fact made obvious by the array of local restaurants, theaters, galleries, bars, micro-breweries, and a giant-screened movie theater.
The 5 Best Bed and Breakfasts in Yellowstone
Golden Stone Inn is less than a mile from the park’s West Entrance and also just 2 miles from the airport. The residence offers accommodation with a shared lounge, free private parking, and a garden. Guests can enjoy an American or Continental-style breakfast.
All guest rooms are doubles with bathrooms and come with air conditioning, a flat-screen TV with cable, a microwave, coffee-making facilities, and a workstation.
Local attractions and amenities can be reached within a few hundred yards and include the Yellowstone Historic Center Museum, the Grizzly Wolf Discovery Center, and the National Geographic IMAX Theater.
The accommodation is ideally located for a spot of recreation in and around West Yellowstone, like hiking, skiing, and cycling.
The Adventure Inn Yellowstone features straightforward accommodation located just over 2 miles from Riverside and almost 3 miles from Yellowstone Airport.
Guest rooms are air-conditioned and available in both suite and family sizes. They also come equipped with private bathrooms, a flat-screen TV, coffee-making facilities, free Wi-Fi, and some rooms feature a larger seating area.
Some of the popular points of attraction close to the residence include the National Geographic IMAX Theater, Yellowstone Historic Center Museum, the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center, and Downtown West Yellowstone.
Crosswinds Inn is located in the center of West Yellowstone less than a mile from the West Entrance, and within walking distance of numerous amenities including restaurants and shops.
Rooms are modern and air-conditioned with private bathrooms. A work desk, a seating area, a microwave, a refrigerator, and coffee-making facilities are all included. Breakfast is served Continental-style.
Amenities include an indoor pool, a hot tub, free Wi-Fi, and a 24-hour information desk. The residence is close to various local attractions such as the Old Faithful Geyser in the national park, and in the town, the Big Screen Theater and the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center are within walking distance.
The Stage Coach Inn is less than a mile and just 3 blocks from the West Entrance of Yellowstone National Park, and just over 2 miles from the airport. The residence provides straightforward accommodation with rustic décor and a seating area, and a continental-style breakfast is served each morning.
All rooms are air-conditioned and equipped with flat-screen TV and cable as well as free Wi-Fi. Coffee-making facilities are also provided in each room, as is a hair dryer.
Amenities include a swimming pool & fitness center, and bicycle rentals are available within walking distance at Yellowstone Bicycles.
The fact that the scenic Hebgen Lake is less than 5 miles away will please outdoor types, and the Downtown region close to the accommodation is close to a range of cafes, restaurants, bars, and museums.
This 2-star Inn is located 250 meters from the center of the town and offers some great views of the downtown regions. This is also another ideal spot from which to explore the many surrounding recreation options in the vicinity.
All rooms at the Inn are air-conditioned and offered in family, double, triple, quadruple, and suite-sized options. Each room has its own bathroom and comes equipped with a flat-screen TV and cable, as well as free Wi-Fi access.
Amenities at the residence include a fitness center and a hot tub, and guests at the accommodation can enjoy a continental breakfast. Days Inn also features a 24-hour information desk.
The Inn is in a prime spot to serve as a base camp for some decent exploration of the area, with the Madison River just 3 miles from this point and Hebgen Lake 15 miles away. Aside from that, there are plenty of popular local landmarks and points of interest near the accommodation.
Some of these include the National Geographic IMAX Theater, Yellowstone Historic Center Museum, and the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. The nearest airport is Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport just 2.5 miles away.
The Bottom Line
Overall, Yellowstone is one of the top destinations in Montana whichever type of accommodation you are most likely interested in. West Yellowstone in particular is the location right on the doorstep of some of the state’s main tourist attractions.
This is a highly-scenic and archetypal Montana location, with some welcoming and affordable bed and breakfast options all of which are an easy walk or drive from some excellent cultural and outdoor activities.
If you are thinking of planning a trip anywhere close to the region of West Yellowstone and seeing anywhere you like the look of, keep in mind that booking well in advance is mandatory for this neck of the woods.
Also, consider that throughout the summer months the volume of traffic making its way across the state can be huge and many passing travelers are also on the lookout for accommodation close to the national parks.
- In terms of the Best Bed & Breakfast-type accommodation from this list, it really depends on what suits your budget, group size, and itinerary. The one thing they all do have in common is a great location, whatever planned itinerary you might have in and around the town. We do like the Golden Stone Inn though for its homely appeal and closeness to pretty much all of the major attractions you might be interested in.
- All of the accommodations on our list are family-friendly with good enough amenities and plenty of nearby recreation. There isn’t that much in it comparatively price-wise, but the Days Inn by Wyndham is a safe bet for families and is conveniently located off Highways 191 and 20. The Inn is an example of the quality and value available from some of the options in the area, also providing quick access to the most popular attractions in the area.