Whitefish is one of the most popular mountain towns in Montana. Home to Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort, and beautiful Whitefish Lake, this quaint town offers plenty of activities all year round.
Along with great activities, Whitefish is home to great dining and beautiful spots to rest your head. Whether you’re visiting to ski or to enjoy the beautiful Montana summers, here are the best hotels in Whitefish.
Travel Tips for Staying in Whitefish, Montana
- Know the difference between Whitefish and Whitefish Resort. If you’re coming in the winter to ski, you may prefer to stay at Whitefish Resort so you can be close to the slopes. Whitefish the town is a short drive from the ski resort, but they are different and have different lodging options.
- Whitefish proper has a variety of lodging options including chain hotels, luxury hotels, and even vacation rentals.
- If you’re planning to visit during the high tourist seasons (summer particularly), you’ll need to book your rooms well in advance, as they fill up quickly. Also, expect nightly rates to be higher during these times.
- Many hotels in Whitefish and Whitefish Resort offer amenities like free breakfasts, ski rental discounts, and information on local activities. These extras can make your visit easier and more affordable if you’re on a budget.
- Don’t be surprised to see a 4% “bed tax” on your bill. This is required by the State of Montana, and all hotels, vacation rentals, and even campgrounds must assess the tax.
- If you would rather not drive while staying in Whitefish, look for lodging options that are located near the central downtown area. Whitefish is very walkable, so a strategically selected hotel, bed and breakfast, or AirBNB can allow you to leave the car parked.
- Don’t worry if you left your car at the hotel, and the weather changes or you get tired of walking, Whitefish has a public bus system and you can even hail an Uber.
- Some of the best hotel options aren’t in town. For a more rustic or quiet option, check out some of the lodges and “dude ranch” type options outside of town. Sure, you’ll be driving more, but if you want to experience the peace and serenity of Montana, this is one way to find a bit of peace.
The 10 Best Hotels in Whitefish, Montana
1. Grouse Mountain Lodge – 2 Fairway Dr.
Perhaps the most popular spot in Whitefish is Grouse Mountain Lodge. This beautiful resort will give you the perfect Montana experience.
Located close to Whitefish Golf Club, the Glacier Nordic Center, and a short drive to Glacier National Park, Grouse Mountain Resort has everything you need in one spot.
Some of the amenities you’ll enjoy at Grouse Mountain Resort include on-dining at Logan’s Bar and Grill, a free shuttle to downtown Whitefish, pool and hot tub, cruiser bike rentals, and pet-friendly rooms.
Grouse Mountain Lodge also has a variety of room options that fit every preference and budget. Rates range from $125 per night to $329 per night. The rate depends on room options and seasons.
2. Lodge at Whitefish Lake – 1380 Wisconsin Ave
Situated on the shore of Whitefish Lake, the Lodge at Whitefish Lake is a full-service resort and hotel that offers visitors a variety of amenities you’ll find at other hotels in Whitefish.
The Lodge is a great place for families, couples, and weekend warriors that are looking for a bit of luxury in their Montana adventure.
The Lodge at Whitefish Lake is a short drive outside of Whitefish and offers not only a beautiful place to stay but also award-winning dining, boat rentals, heated pools your kids will love, fitness classes, and even a full-service spa.
The resort also offers a range of lodging options including hotel rooms, condominiums, and even luxury homes. Rates are based on room type and season.
Nightly rates start at $129 per night, with high season nightly rates topping out at $1,200 per night.
3. Hidden Moose Lodge – 1735 E Lakeshore Dr
If you want a place to stay in Whitefish that gives you a rustic feel, but with all the best amenities, Hidden Moose Lodge is your spot.
Located on Whitefish Lake, a short drive north of downtown Whitefish. This wonderful hotel offers its visitors some great perks.
Enjoy a glass of wine or a craft beer upon your arrival and check-in, complimentary shuttle service into Whitefish, and an amazing homemade breakfast each morning. You can even get your breakfast packed to go if you would rather start your adventure early.
The Hidden Moose Lodge is everything you love about a bed and breakfast combined with the amenities of a great resort hotel. Nightly room rates range from $139 to $319 per night depending on room and season.
4. Hampton Inn & Suites Whitefish – 6340 US Hwy 93 South
If you’re looking for a simpler place to rest your head while you’re visiting Whitefish, the Hampton Inn & Suites is a nice option.
It has a swimming pool, spa with fitness center and hot tub, free WiFi, and a great breakfast.
High season rates here are pricey for a chain hotel, and lower price rooms fill quickly for the summer tourist season, so book early for the best rates and availability. Rates range from $119 to $545 per night.
5. The Pine Lodge on Whitefish River – 920 Spokane Ave
Located on the south end of town, along the Whitefish River, Pine Lodge on Whitefish River is the best spot in town for the visitor that travels with their pets.
This amazing pet-friendly hotel has plenty of features that make it a great place to stay for humans, as well as their pets.
Some of the amenities that we like best at The Pine Lodge on Whitefish River include the game room with pool and shuffleboard tables, outdoor fire pits around the pool, a free shuttle to Whitefish Mountain Resort, and a delicious continental breakfast.
If you’re in Whitefish to ski, skip the lines at the ticket windows by purchasing your lift ticket from the hotel front desk. Room rates range from $159 to $799 per night depending on season and room type.
6. Good Medicine Lodge – 537 Wisconsin Ave
The Good Medicine Lodge was designed with the comfort and well-being of each visitor in mind. This quaint lodge offers amenities that feed the body and the soul.
Each room is furnished with down comforters and pillows, organic linens, organic toiletries, and a white noise machine to help you focus on sleep and relaxation.
Besides these comforts, you’ll enjoy a hearty breakfast featuring locally grown and harvested products, fresh baked cookies, and large patios looking out on peaceful gardens.
This resort is really focused on a quiet and relaxing experience, and you’ll note that most rooms do not accommodate children under 4 years old. Room rates range from $245 to $550 per night depending on room selection and season.
7. Garden Wall Inn – 504 Spokane Ave
Chef owned and operated the Garden Wall Inn is a small, luxury inn in Whitefish.
A traditional-style inn, the Garden Wall Inn offers its visitors a more refined lodging option in Whitefish. Located in downtown Whitefish, the Garden Wall Inn is close to all of the great sites of Whitefish.
The bed and breakfast style inn provides a gourmet breakfast, afternoon hors d’oeuvres, and complimentary beverages. Their concierge services are exceptional and can provide recommendations on everything from hikes, activities, and the best restaurants in town.
They’ll even make dining reservations for you. Rates range from $225 to $525 per night.
8. TownePlace Suites – 300 Akers Ln
Minutes from Whitefish Mountain Resort, TownPlace Suites is the perfect spot to stay if you’re in Whitefish for outdoor recreation.
Each suite features a full kitchen equipped with all of the essentials. The TownePlace Suites has a nice outdoor pool for summer fun. This hotel offers a breakfast buffet, fitness center, and even an outdoor barbeque for grilling.
TownePlace Suites has three room options, and all rooms are pet friendly. Nightly rates range from $129 to $704 depending on room and season.
9. Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge – 6510 Highway 93 South
One of the most popular hotels in Whitefish is the Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge. With reasonable room rates, and a variety of room options this hotel is perfect for families, couples, and business travelers.
Each room is well-appointed with a microwave, refrigerator, television, and high-speed internet. Executive rooms and suites offer seating areas and fireplaces for added comfort.
The Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge is pet friendly and offers convenient amenities like free shuttle service to and from the airport and train station, free breakfast, and free parking.
Room rates range from $139 to $539 depending on room and season.
10. The Firebrand Hotel – 650 3rd St E
A more contemporary option for lodging in Whitefish with a chic urban feel is the Firebrand Hotel.
Located in downtown Whitefish and just a short walk to many of Whitefish’s world-class dining, shopping, and nightlife, this hotel puts you right in the middle of everything that is awesome in Whitefish.
With deluxe and skyline room options that feature fluffy pillows, luxury linens, and in the case of the skyline rooms, amazing views, balconies, and fireplaces.
The Firebrand Hotel has plenty of comfort amenities including a roof-top patio, free bicycle rentals, concierge services, and ski valet and storage. This hotel is pet-friendly, however, pet-friendly accommodations are limited to select rooms only.
Nightly rates range from $159 to $899 depending on season and room selection.
Best Hotels in Whitefish – Conclusion
When you’re planning your trip to Whitefish, remember that room availability and rates at all Whitefish hotels, inns, vacation rentals, and resorts, vary by season.
If you’re planning on visiting during the summer, book early for the best rates and more room selection.
Whether you’re coming to Whitefish to enjoy winter activities or summertime adventures, you’ll find that there are plenty of great places to stay in and around Whitefish, MT. With lodging options that range from simple chain hotels to luxury bed and breakfasts, there’s a place for every traveler.
- Best Luxury Hotel in Whitefish: The Firebrand Hotel
- Best Boutique Hotel in Whitefish: Chalet Hotel Whitefish
- Best Cheap Hotels in Whitefish: Stumptown Inn of Whitefish
- Best Family Hotel in Whitefish: Hampton Inn & Suites Whitefish
- Best Romantic Hotel in Whitefish: Whitefish TLC Bed and Breakfast Inn