Along the stretch of Montana’s Highway 93 between Sula and Lolo sit some scenic little towns. Many of these lesser-known Western Montana towns exhibit their own character and bent, and along with nearby Darby and Stevensville you may find Hamilton as a prime example of one, smack-bang in the middle.
Hamilton is a small town in Montana’s Ravalli County with a surrounding landscape featuring some seriously rugged and picturesque views. It has all the qualities of a small town while offering adequate enough amenities to ensure that more than a few visitors stop by.
This is also an outdoor recreation-haven country, and Hamilton is a great jumping-off point for the Bitterroot National Forest. Something of a Western Montana gem, the town is tucked between the Bitterroot and Sapphire Mountains and is adjacent to the Bitterroot River. The small community receives hundreds of visitors each year, many of whom are seeking a romantic getaway.
Hamilton is in a region more likely to be offering a range of bed and breakfasts or cabin and lodge rentals rather than 4 or 5-star hotels. There are a couple of more standard-type hotels and motels, but many of the accommodation options in and around Hamilton are locally owned and full of charm and character. With that said, let’s check out some of the best bed and breakfasts in Hamilton!
Staying in Hamilton – Travel Tips and Advice
- Which areas in Hamilton are best: First-time visitors to Hamilton usually either want to check out the downtown regions, the surrounding recreation options, or both. Hamilton’s downtown is something of a central spot in the Bitterroot Valley for renowned local restaurants and offers the best range of options. Aside from that, you may opt for something on the outskirts closer to the bordering national forest if you are more interested in springing off into nature and leaving it all behind for a while.
- Getting Around: The town is relatively small and can be explored on foot easily enough. Depending on how deep you want to get into some of the endless outdoor recreation spots you may consider either hiring a vehicle or recruiting the services of an outfitter.
- Attractions: A large proportion of the main attractions relate to the appeal of Hamilton’s downtown region. As both the county seat and the hub of the valley, Hamilton’s well-kept historic buildings, unique shops, and range of great restaurants draw in both locals and visitors alike. The town is home to many of the region’s prominent historical features and landmarks such as the Daly Mansion. From an outdoor perspective, options are virtually unlimited and feature the nearby Blodgett Canyon, as well as Skalkaho Falls. Explorers from far and wide travel to the Bitterroot Valley for its hiking, fishing, and all-around adventure opportunities.
The 5 Bed and Breakfasts in Hamilton
1. The Moraine
The Moraine is a unique and homely residence set nicely along the base of the Bitterroot Mountains between Hamilton and Darby. It is surrounded by forest, and thus this bed and breakfast near Hamilton is ideal for either a peaceful or romantic getaway. It also serves as a great base for some outdoor adventures.
The Moraine offers four luxurious, themed, private guest suites. Breakfast is based on a modern version of country-style breakfast and features unique and varied creations from the kitchen which uses fresh, local, and organic produce as much as possible. Breakfast time is worked around what suits the guests.
Guests get plenty of opportunities to catch glimpses of the surrounding wildlife such as the birds, deer, elk, and even bears that wander near the property.
This location is ideal for outdoor types with a penchant for hiking as it is surrounded by the Bitterroot National Forest with its vast trail system. Fishing, biking, rock climbing, and winter sports are all readily available in and around this spot.
The Quality Inn is in a great spot just over half a mile from the center of town. Blodgett Canyon and the mountain is less than a mile away and local amenities such as restaurants, cafes, and bars are literally a few hundred yards away.
The Inn offers simple accommodation with breakfast and caters to couples and families. Guest rooms include a TV and seating area, free Wi-Fi, and coffee-making facilities. A daily hot, buffet-style breakfast with waffles is provided and a child-friendly menu is available. Pets are also allowed here on request.
Amenities at the Inn include a fitness center and a sauna, and there is a computer available for guests’ use as well as a shop and ATM for added convenience.
Nearby attractions include Hamilton Golf Course about 4.5 miles away off Route 93 and the Darby Pioneer Memorial Museum just over 15 miles away.
Missoula International is the nearest airport at 45 miles from the residence.
Located just a half-mile from the town center, this stopover-style accommodation offers double, quadruple, family rooms, and suites, not to mention mountain views. The residence is just 45 miles from Missoula International Airport.
The air-conditioned and comfortably-furnished rooms are modern and bright and feature cable TV. Rooms are en suite and include tea and coffee-making facilities for guests during their stay. Breakfast is traditional American-style and is available all day long and there are other dining options adjacent to the residence if required.
Gold Coin Casino is within walking distance of the Super 8 and other local attractions like the Daly Mansion are reachable within a few couples of miles.
Recreation-wise the Lost Trail Ski Area is just a 20-minute drive from this spot, and the residence is within walking distance of local restaurants, cafes, and bars.
This Hamilton Bed and Breakfast-style accommodation is set along the banks of the Bitterroot River off Highway 93, just over 40 miles from Missoula International Airport and a mile from the town center.
Rooms are offered as double, triple, or family-sized, and come decorated with a log furniture theme and include a seating area. A TV is included along with a microwave, a refrigerator, and coffee-making facilities.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the property and breakfast is served either American or continental style. The amenities include a 24-hour heated indoor pool, a hot tub, a fitness center, and sauna, and a conference center.
Bear Creek Lodge is one of those authentic locations offering a complete Montana experience. The residence is located just under 10 miles from Hamilton’s center towards Victor and provides accommodation in a homely, lodge-style setting with a bar and a shared lounge.
All rooms are doubles and this accommodation is ideal for couples. The lodge also features amenities like a hot tub and a sauna, and guests can enjoy a few onsite games like billiards or take themselves off for some hiking or fishing in the surroundings.
Bear Creek Trailhead is less than half a mile away for a spot of Mountain hiking and the hot tub and sauna facilities waiting for you when you return will seem most welcoming.
The accommodation is about 7 miles or so from the main concentration of cafes, bars, and restaurants in the area, and the nearest airport is 37 miles away by way of Missoula International Airport.
The Bottom Line
All in all, there is a great range of bed and breakfast-style accommodations available in Hamilton and the surrounding valley regions. Visitors will find more choices in terms of this type of accommodation than they might in other regions of the state with plenty of visitors. There are some great variations along the guesthouse theme in this scenic part of the state.
If you do plan to stay near Hamilton it pays to keep in mind the volume of tourist traffic making its way across the state in peak periods. Many of them will be looking for stop-off points which may well include the scenic and quaint Hamilton as a popular base.
So if you see anywhere you like the look of and decide to start planning a summer trip, it may be wise to book as much as 6 months in advance and you can expect it to be more expensive.
- Best B & B overall has to go to The Moraine for its farmhouse-style with class. This welcoming establishment provides a complete and authentic Montana experience ideal for families or couples alike. This place will hold special appeal for those who love being near the great outdoors and surrounded by wildlife in a typical Montana setting.
- In terms of the most romantic B & B’s in Hamilton, we would look to the Bear Creek Lodge II due to its setting, styling, and available outdoor activities ideal for couples.
- You may be best to look towards the more 2-star and Motel-style options like the Quality Inn which is as good an example as any of simple and clean yet not overly-expensive accommodation. The location is also top-notch for sightseeing and families are welcome.
- Best Family Residence from this selection would also have to go to The Moraine for the comfort and the range of outdoor activities along with a sense of being closer to wildlife and nature.