The county seat of Powell County, Montana, Deer Lodge is nestled in a tranquil valley beside striking mountain ranges.
A popular tourist destination and historic town, Deer Lodge receives countless visitors each year arriving for its cultural and natural attractions.
Deer Lodge is a hub of museums and historical collections, making it a must-visit town for history buffs. One of the most famous historic sites is Grant-Kohrs Ranch, which was the headquarters of one of the country’s largest range ranches in the 19th century.
There are several other exciting things to do in the Deer Lodge area, including visiting the Old Prison Museum Complex, fishing in the Little Blackfoot River, and buying souvenirs from the Hi-Country Trading Post.
Additionally, there is also a selection of bars in Deer Lodge where you can mingle with locals, catch a sports game or some live country music, and enjoy a delicious brew.
To help you on your journey, we have outlined some of the best bars in Deer Lodge for when you visit the town for yourself!
Travel Tips for Drinking in Deer Lodge
- The nightlife in Deer Lodge is distinctly different from the club and bar scene that you’ll find in larger cities. The venues tend to be more casual, requiring a more casual dress code.
- Deer Lodge is home to an exclusive assortment of sports and dive bars where you’ll experience welcoming Western hospitality and some of the best brews in the country. Plus, most establishments offer live music and special events throughout the year, particularly in the summer months.
- The best thing about a night out in Deer Lodge is that it doesn’t have to break the bank. The bars all run specials and discounts on drinks at certain times. So to get the most bang for your buck, keep up to date with their social media pages to find out when the next special is.
- It’s also important to be aware of the drinking laws in Deer Lodge, as rules differ from state to state. In Deer Lodge, you will not be able to buy alcohol at a bar if you are under 21 years old. You will also not be allowed to buy alcohol for anyone younger than 21 unless you are at a private function.
- Montana laws also prohibit driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, with standard drivers not permitted to have more than 0.08% blood alcohol concentration. There are even lower levels required of drivers under the age of 21 and commercial drivers.
- Given the strict anti-drink-driving laws in Deer Lodge, it’s important to find other methods of transportation if you’ve been enjoying the local nightlife. There are taxi services that operate in town, in addition to other transport service providers, such as Uber or Lyft.
- Many of the bars are conveniently located in the center of town, so it might also be possible to walk back to your accommodation after a night out.
- Though Deer Lodge is considered a safe destination overall, it’s always important to practice caution when walking alone at night. If possible, try to travel in groups and stay in well-lit areas.
The 4 Best Bars in Deer Lodge
There is not a huge selection of bars in Deer Lodge, Montana, but the ones you will find boast fun and friendly atmosphere with a wide range of beverages to choose from.
As rated by locals and travelers, here are the four best bars in Deer Lodge.
1. Outpost Casino • Deer Lodge • $-$$
The Outpost Restaurant and Casino is a popular spot in town for those looking for a casual and welcoming location to spend the night.
The fully equipped bar contains a long list of drinks and the dining room is spacious, with plenty of room to meet new people, catch up with friends, and watch a sports game.
The food menu features classic American favorites, including a selection of burgers and other staples such as chicken fried steak and club sandwiches.
The venue also has a relaxing outdoor area, plus the casino area where locals love coming to play Spin the Wheel.
Patrons love the friendly staff and high-quality service, and the fact that the bar is conveniently located on 2nd Street. The Outpost is open seven days a week, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day.
2. Montana Bar • Deer Lodge • $-$$
Situated right on Main Street, the Montana Bar is another local gem. Known for its wide variety of beer and fantastic cocktails, the bar also has an impressive wine and hard liquor list.
The Montana Bar prides itself on friendly bar staff who will always welcome out-of-towners and suggest a drink if you can’t make up your mind.
The establishment also runs bar games from time to time, as well as hosting live music and screening sports games, giving the venue a fun and bustling atmosphere.
The Montana Bar operates daily, opening at 8 a.m. and closing at 2 a.m.
3. Corner Bar • Deer Lodge • $-$$
A favorite amongst locals, the Corner Bar is conveniently located downtown on Main Street.
This is the top destination to visit in Deer Lodge for sports fans since the venue boasts 11 televisions to ensure patrons don’t miss a single game.
There are weekly events held at the Corner Bar, including games such as Giant Jenga, Darts, Cornhole, Pool, and Beer Pong. The bar also boasts its own casino and an outside patio with live entertainment during the popular summer months.
You can find amazing drink specials here during the week, including $3 Fireball shots and Whiskey Wednesday. The bar also serves a satisfying food menu complete with burgers, tacos, and brats.
The Corner Bar is open daily from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.
4. Mount Powell Tap Room • Deer Lodge • $-$$
The Mount Powell Tap Room is a family-friendly establishment on Main Street specializing in craft beer.
There are 20 taps behind the bar flowing with different varieties of beer, hard ciders, and seltzers, along with canned beer, an exclusive selection of wine, non-alcoholic craft beer, soda, and coffee.
Snacks are also available, whether you’re in the mood for pizza, nachos, giant pretzels, or free popcorn. The bar regularly runs drink specials and fun events, including quiz nights, pint nights, and live music performances.
The Mount Powell Tap Room is adored by locals for its wide variety of beer, friendly service, and welcoming atmosphere.
It’s open Monday through Thursday from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, the taproom opens at 12 p.m. and closes at 11 p.m. On Sundays, it opens at 12 p.m. and closes at 10 p.m.