Glendive in Montana is a quaint and appealing small eastern city located along the Yellowstone River. This former Northern Pacific Railway town dates back to 1902 and eventually established itself as an agricultural hub in the region. Thanks to the many working ranches in the region, the town offers an authentic taste of the Old West.
The community sits between the Yellowstone River and Makoshika State Park and offers decent local amenities like restaurants, cafes, and other locally-owned shops and recreational amenities. Glendive is also in a position to be able to offer a great selection of outdoor recreation options.
Anyone visiting during these times can expect much higher volumes of people and the customary seasonal price hikes.
Some of the later months around December are good times to take advantage of seasonal specials and special cheap-rate deals. There is a variety of styles of accommodation to suit a range of budgets and itineraries, with many of them close to some of the main attractions in and around the town.
It’s a bit easier to find alternative, possibly more homely Bed and Breakfast-style options in Glendive than it is in many other touristy areas. Whether you are seeking somewhere in the town for a romantic getaway or family trip, Glendive has some great options in some great locations.
So let’s take a closer look at some of the best Bed and Breakfasts in Glendive.
Staying in Glendive – Travel Tips and Advice
- Which areas in Glendive are best: First-time visitors to Glendive might want to be close to the downtown area with its shopping, eating, and entertainment options. You can easily check out a movie or catch a show at the theater in this area, and you’ll have access to the best range of dining options. Other than that you may want to head out of town a bit more and get away from the built-up areas on a guest ranch.
- Getting Around: The town has a decent public transportation system, but as it is relatively small the central regions can easily be explored on foot. There are also many things to see and do in the surrounding areas, so ultimately the best way to get around is via car if you are likely to want to go sightseeing. Renting a vehicle from the airport is possible, and Bus service is available to Glendive. You can use the Sidney Shuttle (406-433-3636) or Glendive’s Glendive Cab & Delivery Service (406-939-4494) if not going from the bus depot.
- Attractions: A large proportion of the main attractions in the town relate to dinosaurs and fossils, which the region is renowned for. The Glendive Dinosaur and Fossil Museum are one of the most popular draws as well as the more historic Frontier Gateway Museum. On the eastern outskirts of the town is Makoshika State Park, the largest state park in Montana. The badlands here are also rich grounds for fossils of prehistoric animals and plants including dinosaurs.
The 5 Best Bed and Breakfasts in Glendive
Just over 1.5-miles from the town’s center of Glendive, the Yellowstone River Inn offers double rooms along with an on-site bar, casino, and restaurant.
All rooms are air-conditioned and include a flat-screen cable TV, a microwave, and a small refrigerator. Every room includes a private bathroom with a bath or shower, and free Wi-Fi is provided.
The Inn is 46 miles from the Sidney-Richland Municipal Airport, and a free shuttle service is available. Meals are available in the American Steakhouse-style cuisine in the onsite restaurant which has an a la carte menu.
The breakfast is provided by the restaurant and comes highly rated.
Glendive Lodge is a 2-star hotel offering guesthouse-style accommodation with a continental or buffet breakfast included. The residence is in a great location less than 2 miles from the Yellowstone River and is even closer to the town center.
The residence is just over an hour from the nearest airport, Sidney-Richland Municipal Airport. It has a 24-hour front desk and an ATM if you need extra cash, as well as private parking and free Wi-Fi.
Pets are also accommodated at this accommodation.
Riverside Inn is located in a spot close to Dawson Community College and just a 10-minute drive from Makoshika State Park.
The rooms are air-conditioned and all have a private entrance, a workstation, cable TV, and en suite bathrooms.
The accommodation offers single and double rooms and is a half-mile walk from the Yellowstone River. It is also just over one mile from the town center and an hour’s drive from the nearest airport Sidney-Richland Municipal Airport.
Hotel Glendive is a 2-star establishment located less than 2 miles from the town center. The river is less than 2 miles from the residence and Makoshika state park is less than 5 miles. The nearest airport is Sidney-Richland Municipal Airport, just 46 miles from the hotel.
The establishment features a shared lounge, and all air-conditioned guest rooms at the hotel are doubles. The rooms come equipped with en suite bathrooms, a seating area, a flat-screen TV with cable channels, free Wi-Fi, and bed linen and towels.
A tour desk is available at the guesthouse to provide information on the area, and tennis is available at the accommodation, as are various local cycling routes.
Free private parking is available and other amenities include a business center and a 24-hour front desk.
Charley Montana is a 3-star Bed and Breakfast establishment situated 0.2 miles/370 yards from the center of Glendive. The guesthouse offers both a warm welcome and great value, and the accommodation features 5 large and comfortable air-conditioned rooms set in a ranch property first established back in 1907.
The air-conditioned guest rooms have private bathrooms, a flat-screen TV, and queen-sized beds. The huge windows in the high-ceilinged rooms allow lots of natural light and the carvings on the stairway and fireplaces add some nice homely touches. Rooms have huge doors as they would have done when the ranch was first built.
The authentic downstairs Rancher Hall comes furnished with antique hickory armchairs and twig tables, and there is even an antique bank vault door leading to the first occupant’s old wine cellar. Guests will find quaint and detailed touches like a hand-made parquet poker table, and a collection of 78 RPM records.
The old family furniture of the property’s first occupants is located in one of the third-floor rooms and guests can check out the iron beds, old books, and other period piece items.
Visitors can make use of a shared reading hall, a parlor, sitting rooms, and there is a large formal dining room. Parking is available and guests can use the free Wi-Fi throughout the rooms & grounds.
The Bottom Line
All in all, there are some decent Bed and Breakfast-type accommodation options in and around Glendive to suit a range of preferences.
Standard B&B-style is somewhat limited in the region and is often closer to 2 or 3-star motel-style or guesthouse accommodation but it’s still possible to find some impressive and welcoming variations on guesthouse themes.
It won’t be too difficult to find the best Bed and Breakfast in Glendive to suit your requirements location and itinerary-wise.
It is suggested that you keep in mind the fact that during the peak months in Montana there are hordes of travelers who have been driving for a while and are looking for stop-off points which may well include Glendive.
So it may pay to book as much as 6 months in advance and you can expect it to be more expensive in peak times.
- Best B & B has to go to Charley Montana Bed and Breakfast. It fits the bill perfectly B&B-wise with some authentic and quaint touches harking back to the past. This is the type of Montana establishment that provides something uniquely-related to the region and the history of the area in real comfort. The accommodation, the location, the surroundings, and the atmosphere make it a top-notch option.
- In terms of the cheaper and more budget B & B options in Glendive, you may be best to look towards the more Motel-style options like the Glendive Lodge. These are basic but clean and not overly-expensive accommodation options ideal for a night or two. The rooms are simple but comfortable and close to all the amenities and attractions.
- Best Family Residence from this selection would probably have to go to the Riverside Lodge due to its walking distance from the river and proximity to the largest state park in Montana which means a lot of outdoor activity and exploring is nearby