Dillon is a Southwest Montana town that typifies many of the Old West aspects of the state. The scenic little spot is located in Montana’s Beaverhead County along the Beaverhead River and was originally developed as a railroad town.
The town features many historical aspects, including Montana’s first school in 1893 which eventually developed into Western Montana College.
Dillon was also a former mining town although these days visitors will find ranching and farming activities the mainstay of the region’s economic operations as well as tourism. Dillon receives many passing visitors throughout the year due to its location along the road from Yellowstone to Glacier National Park.
This charming town is a great base point for some serious outdoor exploration in the vicinity of the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, and the rivers that drain into Dillon’s sweeping valley regions make it a top-notch trout destination.
Aside from that, the modern downtown area is much larger than many people expect it to be and includes a range of amenities including food, retail, and culture.
If you are considering a stay in a town like Dillon and maybe are looking for something other than standard, hotel-type accommodation, you’ll find an interesting combination of options. Many are along the lines of a 2-star hotel or motel with a touch of the guesthouse thrown in.
These options should suit anyone looking for Bed and Breakfast-style accommodation. With that in mind, let’s take a closer look at a few of the best Bed and Breakfasts in Dillon.
Staying in Dillon – Travel Tips and Advice
- Which areas in Dillon are best: Personal preference along with itinerary will largely influence which areas are most suitable. If you want the convenience and delights of all the best local eateries, saloons, and cafes, being close to downtown Dillon might be the spot for you. This is also the area for cultural and historic pursuits like museums and galleries. However, you may be more of the outdoor type who would prefer something a bit further away from the town center towards the ranch-like settings around the town.
- Getting Around: Due to the town’s relatively small size, most visitors can easily find their way around the immediate locale on foot. A couple of major highways such as the I-15 conjoin in Dillon, help make it something of a hub for various outdoor recreation pursuits in Southwest Montana. This means there is some traveling out of town to be done if you intend on seeing as much of the area as possible. Thus, you can drive in, hire a car, and book the services of a local outfitter.
- Attractions: The downtown area of Dillon is large and modern-looking with a shopping district containing a wide range of eclectic shops as well as other popular local amenities such as art galleries, restaurants, and saloon-style bars & eateries. The mining past of the community is documented in the County Museum and recreation awaits eager participants in the national forest regions.
The 5 Best Bed and Breakfasts in Dillon
- Super 8 by Wyndham
- Beaverhead Lodge
- Quality Inn Dillon I-15
- FairBridge Inn Express
- Best Western Paradise Inn
1. Super 8 by Wyndham Dillon
Super 8 Dillon offers straightforward accommodation with an included continental or American-style breakfast. The residence is 10 minutes from the local Dillon Airport and just over a half-hour from the national forest.
The air-conditioned guest rooms are offered in double, quadruple, and suite sizes, and come equipped with a flat-screen TV and with cable channels. All rooms are en suite with free toiletries and a hairdryer, and the property features a shared lounge
Super 8 Dillon is 5 minutes from the Veteran’s Memorial Park, Ennis Big Sky Airport is 45 miles away, and the Beaverhead River is reachable within 5 miles.
2. Beaverhead Lodge
The Beaverhead Lodge is a 2-star, pet-friendly residence in a great spot for anyone seeking to explore local recreation options. Ennis Big Sky Airport is 48 miles from the accommodation and nearby attraction Clark Canyon Reservoir is just 29 miles.
Double and family-sized rooms with private bathrooms and air-conditioning are available at the residence. Each room is equipped with a flat-screen TV, and Full English and Irish breakfast options along with buffet-style breakfasts are offered.
3. Quality Inn Dillon I-15
Quality Inn Dillon is located just off the I-15 as the name suggests. The residence offers straightforward accommodation in a prime spot just over half a mile from the Beaverhead County Museum and minutes from the University of Montana’s Western Campus.
All guest rooms at the Quality Inn include refrigerators and microwaves, and laundry facilities are available. Breakfast is served American or buffet style with waffles. There are also a variety of restaurants located nearby, as well as a local casino.
Amenities include a swimming pool and sun deck, a meeting room and business center, and free high-speed Internet and access. HBO movie channels are available in all guest rooms and there is an information kiosk to help guests with any local travel plans.
4. Fairbridge Inn Express
The Fairbridge is a 10-minute walk from the center of Dillon and its numerous local amenities and dining options. The University of Montana Western is 2.4 miles from this spot, which is also half a mile from the scenic recreation of the Beaverhead River.
Ennis Big Sky Airport is less than 50 miles from the Inn, which offers double, quadruple, suite, or family-sized rooms. Each air-conditioned room is equipped with a private bathroom, cable TV, a seating area, and appliances like a microwave and a refrigerator.
Free Wi-Fi is also available, and breakfast options include Full English and Irish as well as Continental–style options with waffles.
Mountain views also come as part of the deal with the Fairbridge Inn, and other amenities include a hot tub, a jacuzzi, a fitness center, and heated pool, a meeting room and business center, and a 24-hour front desk.
5. Best Western Paradise Inn
Best Western Paradise Inn is another straightforward accommodation in another great spot in Dillon. The residence features double, family, and suite-sized rooms and serves a Continental-style breakfast for all guests. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the property.
The property has a 24-hour front desk and amenities include an indoor pool and a hot tub in the Spa & Wellness Center. Pets are allowed at this Best Western.
The residence is situated within close proximity to various local attractions such as Clark’s Lookout State Park, which is less than a mile away and provides a great day out for couples or families. Bannack Ghost Town is around 25 miles away and Big Sky Airport is less than 50 miles away from the property.
The Bottom Line
All in all, there are some nice and comfortable, well-located, and not to mention reasonably-priced Bed and Breakfast-style properties in Dillon. These establishments cater to a range of group sizes and preferences and offer possibly better value for money than many of the larger hotels.
The deeper you look, the more likely you are to find a few other variations along the guesthouse themes along other avenues like vacation rentals.
But with a tad of advanced planning and a better idea of what to expect from a visit to Dillon or its surrounding regions, it won’t be too difficult to find the best Bed and Breakfast to suit your requirements location, and itinerary-wise.
As with any of the small towns located along some of the main highway routes that lead to the national parks bear in mind that the volume of tourist traffic is likely to be making its way across the state during the peak months in Montana. Many of them will be looking for stop-off points which may well include Dillon, which also attracts passers-by looking for a recreation stop-off.
So if you see anywhere you like the look of and you plan on a summer trip, consider booking as much as 6 months in advance and expect top rates.
- In terms of what might be considered the Best B & B from this list, the Super 8 by Wyndham Dillon probably gets that accolade. The residence has the best overall facilities and accommodation presented in a straightforward and unassuming fashion. The location is also top-notch, as are the amenities.
- In terms of the cheapest B & B’s in Livingston, you may be best to look towards the more Motel-style options, the Quality Inn is as good an example as any clean and not overly expensive accommodation. The rooms are simple but comfortable yet well within reach of some of the best local amenities and attractions.
- Best Family Residence from this selection would also have to go to the Fairbridge Inn Express for its close proximity to both mountain views and downtown amenities, not to mention its distance from the airport which always helps.