Columbia Falls is located in Montana’s northwestern regions along the Flathead River. This is a quaint and charming small town located in an excellent spot from which to explore some of the state’s nearby landmark attractions like the ski resorts and Glacier National Park.
Visitors can discover the life and the culture of the Flathead Valley in Columbia Falls, which is also a great jumping-off point for many other nearby towns worth visiting.
For instance, Hungry Horse is just 7 miles away and Whitefish is 10 miles. On top of that, you have Kalispell and West Glacier less than 20 miles away, and the postcard town of Bigfork is just 35 miles from the town.
So there is more than enough to do and see in the area and its surrounding and nearby towns and the dining and entertainment are also top-notch in the region.
Peak times to visit are between June and September in tourism terms, and this is when accommodation is likely to be at its most expensive.
The 5 Best Bed and Breakfasts in Columbia Falls
Columbia Falls has a range of accommodations to suit every need, including guest houses and B & B-type options. If you prefer the peaceful settings of a bed and breakfast to a regular hotel then come with us as we investigate the best Bed and Breakfasts in Columbia Falls.
Glacier Acres is a popular and highly-rated guesthouse located just 3 miles from one of the area’s main family attractions Big Sky Waterpark. The nearest airport is Glacier Park International Airport, 11miles from this residence.
The air-conditioned accommodation features a garden and is pet-friendly. Guests can enjoy free Wi-Fi and a flat-screen TV with cable channels. All rooms come with a private bathroom including a shower and towels.
The accommodation is close to the Flathead River and various local amenities such as restaurants, cafes, and bars. Guests can also take advantage of the barbecue facilities.
Cedar Creek Lodge is a modern-style mountain lodge guesthouse just over 5 miles from Glacier Park International Airport. The residence is within walking distance of the Flathead River, and free parking is available.
The comfortable, air-conditioned guest rooms feature a refrigerator, a microwave, free Wi-Fi, and a hot breakfast buffet that is included. Amenities at the accommodation include an indoor pool, a hot tub, a fitness center, and a business center.
An onsite shop and laundry services are also available, as is a free connector shuttle bus for any guests wishing to visit the Whitefish Mountain Resort.
This is another guesthouse in a top-notch spot for anyone with a family, just 6 miles from Glacier International Airport and 600 meters from the Big Sky Waterpark.
All air-conditioned rooms at Wonderstone come with free WiFi and free private parking, and bed linen and towels are provided.
Guests at the residence will find themselves in close proximity to a vast range of outdoor activities in and around Columbia Falls such as hiking, skiing, and cycling.
The Moss Mountain Inn is in an excellent location 8 miles from the center of Columbia Falls and minutes away from local attractions such as Flathead Lake Winery. Meadow Lake Golf Course is the nearest landmark, and the Inn is just seven miles from Glacier National Park and 13.5 from the airport.
The establishment operates on a guesthouse basis and contains four unique rooms set in an impressive three-story, cedar chalet-style property. The residence is surrounded by six forested acres of Flathead National Forest land and is just a short walk from the Flathead River’s North Fork.
Some of the unique features of the guest house include a 300-square-foot glass solarium, and an elevated wildlife viewing area Moss Mountain Inn is actually a certified wildlife sanctuary by the National Wildlife Federation.
On top of that, there’s an entertainment zone, and guests can also enjoy a library, an outdoor hot tub and fire pit, and perennial gardens.
This stay includes free Wi-Fi and breakfast, and amenities of the accommodation include a business center, laundry facilities, a terrace, and a patio area as well as a fitness center.
The Duck Inn Lodge is located riverside and is less than 7 miles from the center of Columbia Falls in the direction of Whitefish. You can actually walk to Whitefish town center very easily from here and it’s just a couple of miles from Whitefish Lake.
The 15-room Inn is quaint, relaxing, and unique, and features a king bed, queen bed, or a queen/twin combo. A King Deluxe Patio Room with a Jacuzzi tub for two is also available—complete with river views.
The various different air-conditioned rooms at the Inn Lodge all include cable TV. Selected rooms have fireplaces or other features like a balcony overlooking the river. Homemade breakfast is made available in the mornings either in your room or downstairs in the dining area or outside on the deck.
An entertainment zone containing a collection of movies and games is available in the lounge area as well as a computer with an internet connection.
You can awaken to the inspiring aromas of freshly ground and brewed coffee, or maybe a few freshly-baked selections and snacks. You’ll also be surrounded by equally inspiring views.
Staying in Columbia Falls – Travel Tips and Advice
- Which areas in Columbia Falls are best: First-time visitors to Columbia Falls might want to know that Columbia Falls has been found to be the 2nd Safest City in Montana according to SafeWise! That means you don’t have to worry too much about safety whether you stay in the central regions or a bit further out in the sticks. It will depend largely on your planned itinerary.
- Getting Around: The downtown region is relatively small and can easily be explored on foot. But like anywhere in Montana your own (or rented) wheels are the best option as many of the things to see and do are in the surrounding areas. Cheap shuttle buses to Glacier National Park are available from the town.
- Attractions: Visitors can enjoy a decent selection of dining options along with parades, rodeos, and a weekly summer farmer’s market complete with a beer garden. The town has also made something of a name for itself in terms of local restaurants and a brewery. There are various boutique and specialty shops related to fly fishing, used books, thrift stores, and ranch supply stores. The cold season means winter sports opportunities at the nearby Blacktail Mountain Ski Area and the Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort. Whitefish is one of the main reasons people choose to stop over in Columbia Falls along with Glacier National park, both of which are within a 10 and 20-mile range respectively.
The Bottom Line – Our Top Choices
Columbia Falls has some great Bed and Breakfast-type accommodations in and around the town to suit a range of preferences. Options are always somewhat limited as far as standard B&B-style accommodation goes in this neck of the woods—but you’ll find a few nice variations along guesthouse themes, particularly with the ranch setups.
So with a touch of careful advanced planning and bearing in mind the seasonal price hikes—it won’t be too difficult to find the best Bed and Breakfast in Columbia Falls to suit your requirements both location and itinerary-wise.
If you do plan to drive to or around the Columbia Falls area you might want to keep in mind that the volume of tourist traffic likely to be making its way towards the national park during the peak months in Montana could be dense.
Many of the travelers will be looking for stop-off points exactly like Columbia Falls, ensuring that what is available gets taken quickly at certain times of the year.
If you see anywhere you like the look of on our list and plan on a summer trip, it may be worth booking up to 6 months in advance and you can expect it to be more expensive.
- Best B & B in Columbia Falls has to go to Glacier Acres Ranch. This establishment seems able to provide the closest thing to an authentic Montana lodging experience that features the outdoors. It will definitely suit families or anyone who enjoys the outdoors, but the close proximity to the water park and other features are the other clinchers.
- Moss Mountain Inn is also ideal for families due to its diverse and appealing range of unique features
- In terms of the cheapest B & B’s in Columbia Falls, it might be a case of looking for seasonal specials but these vary from place to place. If you are looking for straightforward accommodation and breakfast without so much scenery it may be best to look towards the Cedar Creek Lodge.
- The best Romantic Residence from this list goes to the Duck Inn Lodge for its 2-person jacuzzi and amazingly scenic surroundings, not to mention style and furnishings. It does receive very high ratings from the couples who stay there for the features and location.