The city of Whitefish provides ample opportunities for travelers alike, but in order to get there, you will likely want to know the closest airport to Whitefish, Montana in order to get the most time out of your trip.
We are here to help you find the best airports near Whitefish to ensure safe and happy travels:
The 6 Airports Near Whitefish
While there are no Whitefish airports, there are several major and international airports within driving distance. The closest airport to Whitefish is Glacier Park International Airport.
1. Glacier Park International Airport
Glacier Park is the closest airport to Whitefish, Montana, less than a 20-minute drive. It’s a small international airport offering direct flights from cities across the US.
Airport amenities are open every day from 4 AM until the last flight of the day. Inside you will find clean, neat conditions with rental car agencies, gift shops, and a few good options, including alcoholic beverages.
Direct flights to Glacier Park International Airport include:
- Salt Lake City
- Las Vegas
- San Diego
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
This airport offers flights on well-known airlines, including United, Allegiant Air, Delta, Alaska Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, JetBlue, American Airlines, and Frontier.
Glacier Park International Airport is the best travel option for those close to the major cities with direct flights. Flying direct is the most convenient option, and the airport is only 12 miles from the heart of Whitefish.
You could be at your destination in less than 20 minutes after you land.
2. Missoula Montana Airport
Missoula Montana Airport is a 2-hour and 20-minute drive (127 miles) to Whitefish.
This small airport offers non-stop flights to and from 14 different markets around the country. The Missoula airport is under construction until 2022 and will convert to a more modern design and expansion.
The airport offers plenty of amenities, including a restaurant with a full-service bar, a coffee/tea shop, a gift shop, and massage chairs.
You will also find free Wi-Fi, charging stations, smart carts, and a mail drop for your convenience.
You can book flights with major airlines offering direct flights from cities across the US.
- Alaska Airlines: Seattle, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco
- Allegiant Air: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Oakland
- American Airlines: Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, Los Angeles
- Delta: Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Atlanta
- Frontier: Denver
- United: Denver, Chicago, San Francisco
The Missoula Montana Airport is the best option for those who plan on making stops from Missoula to Whitefish.
Take a scenic drive through mountains and along clear blue lakes or stop by the Flathead reservation and learn about the area’s history.
3. Great Falls International Airport
Great Falls International Airport is a 3-hour and 50-minute drive (221 miles) to Whitefish. Great Falls airport is small and offers direct flights to six major cities on four different airlines.
The interior is clean and well-designed with short lines; you could be at your gate in less than 15 minutes once you are checked-in.
You will find rental car agencies, a cafe, vending machines, a bar, and a gift shop. The shops close early, so you may be stuck eating out of vending machines if you have a late flight.
Direct flights from Great Falls International Airport include Denver, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Seattle. Book your flight through Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Air, Delta, and United Airlines.
The Great Falls Airport is another excellent option if you plan on making stops along the way to Whitefish. Drive down to the Lewis and Clark National Forest, then through Helena and Missoula.
Or take a scenic road trip through Blackfeet Indian Reservation and Glacier National Park.
4. Spokane International Airport
Spokane International Airport is a 4-hour and 23-minute drive to Whitefish. This airport is slightly bigger and is in Spokane, Washington. You can find direct, non-stop flights from over 20 different US cities and book a flight with ten major airlines.
Enjoy convenient dining and shopping options at the terminal, such as Starbucks, Burger King, a sports bar, Quiznos, a taproom, gift shops, and travel marts.
The airport offers other passenger services like free Wi-Fi, baggage carts, nursing suites, water bottle refill stations, and service animal relief areas.
Direct flights to Spokane International Airport:
- Salt Lake City
- Las Vegas
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Jose
- Santa Ana
Schedule your flight through Aha!, Alaska, Allegiant, American, Avelo, Delta, Frontier, Southwest, Sun Country, and United.
Landing in Spokane is an excellent option for those road tripping through the Northwest or who plan to make stops in the area (business, visiting family) before heading to Whitefish.
The route from Spokane to Whitefish will take you through national forests and native reservations, a perfect opportunity for sightseeing and photos.
5. Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport is a 5-hour and 12-minute drive (300 miles) to Whitefish. This airport hosts ten airlines with non-stop flights to 30 US markets and connections worldwide.
You can’t beat the atmosphere at Bozeman Airport with its sprawling glass windows with views of snow-capped mountains and cozy fireplaces placed through the terminal.
Dine at several restaurants, including a grill, a bistro, and a taco shop. There is also a grab-and-go kiosk where you will find gourmet hot coffee, sandwiches, bagels, and other snacks.
Enjoy amenities like nursing rooms, service animal relief areas, local gallery work, and museum displays.
Airlines offering non-stop flights to Bozeman Yellowstone Airport:
- Alaska: Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco
- Allegiant: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Nashville, Austin
- American: Dallas, Chicago, Charlotte, Austin
- Delta: Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Detroit, New York
- JetBlue: New York, Boston
- Southwest: Denver, Las Vegas, Dallas
- Sun Country: Minneapolis
- United: San Francisco, Denver, Chicago, LA, New York, Houston, D.C.
Booking your flight to Bozeman Airport is perfect for those wanting to explore more of Montana. Pass through multiple national forests, major cities, and Native American reservations.
The long drive to Whitefish will give you great opportunities to sightsee, peruse local shops, and dine at Montana’s best restaurants.
6. Calgary International Airport
Calgary International Airport is a 5-hour and 28-minute drive (423 miles) to Whitefish. This sizeable Canadian airport is an international hub with a flight landing every 9 minutes.
Calgary Airport has many amenities, including shopping, dining, spas, and lounges. Pick up a souvenir from a gift shop, have lunch at a cafe, get your nails done at the spa, and relax in a private lounge. Enjoy amenities like Wi-Fi, fun kid zones, charging stations, and animal relief areas.
You can catch a direct flight to this airport from 85 hubs worldwide. You can find flights from 82 cities in 15 countries, including 36 domestic flights. Catch a domestic flight from Vancouver or an international flight from Rome (9 hours).
It’s best to book your flight to Calgary if you are international because you will have more options available to you. Prepare for your trip by having all the necessary documents to cross borders.
If you take highway 2, you will pass through Blackfeet Reservation and Glacier National Park. If you take I-93, you will drive through Kootenai National Forest. Both options provide excellent sights and incredible road trip memories.
Planning and Resources for Your Visit to Whitefish
- Best time to visit: late spring through early fall is the best time to visit Whitefish, Montana. You can expect warmer weather during the day with chilly conditions at night.
- When to book hotels: as a rule of thumb, it’s best to start monitoring prices two months before your flight to see when prices dip. You will most likely find the best deals around the two-week mark prior to your trip. If you will be in town for a special event, it’s best to book early.
- Weather: The weather in Whitefish fluctuates drastically depending on the season. Winters are frigid with snowy conditions and considerable cloud cover. You can still experience some snow during spring and an increase in rain. Warmer weather will begin in June and last through the end of summer, and falls are chilly with occasional snow.
- Popular attractions: go skiing at Whitefish Mountain Resort, take a day trip to Glacier National Park, peruse the shops in downtown Whitefish, or hang out at Whitefish Lake.
- Pick a guide: Montana is an outdoor lover’s dream, but some may not be familiar with safety precautions. Take advantage of the many trained professionals who can make your trip even better. Take guided tours through national parks or hire a boat service for a fishing trip. Stay safe and have fun!
Your Onward Journey to Whitefish
- Rent a car: Most airports have rental car agencies inside the terminal and offer great rates. They make it easy and convenient to book, pay, and pick up your car right from the airport. Pick a vehicle that meets your needs (sedan, SUV, truck, etc.) and hit the road of your own free will.
- Rideshare: If you are flying into an airport close to Whitefish, you may wish to catch a quick ride to your destination. Use ride apps like Uber and Lyft to get quickly to your hotel. You could also use services like Turo, a peer-to-peer car rental that lets you book local owners’ cars.
- Take a Greyhound: If your airport is further away, consider taking a greyhound bus close to Whitefish. You can find bus rides from Missoula to Kalispell for less than $30, which is cheaper than catching an Uber or renting a car.
- Find an RV rental: Do you have a long drive ahead of you? Are you looking for a fun family adventure? Try renting an RV! Do a quick search to see the closest RV rental places near your airport and book a recreational vehicle for an exciting road trip through Montana.